[ExI] English-speaking Google News and Myanmar (Burma)

M1N3R m1n3r2 at hotmail.com
Mon May 19 19:23:56 UTC 2008

From: "PJ Manney" <pjmanney at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 6:04 PM

> Also American culture is historically based on violence.  We were
> created in violence (fleeing death in the old world and then against
> native peoples in the new), grew in violence (our own revolution and
> further native genocide and immigrant/class upheavals) and continue to
> influence the rest of the world through violence.  The concept is
> referred to as "regeneration through violence."

This phrase is most interesting. Even though I am not willing to agree with
today's America in several aspects, the history of America has lots of
interesting points. The struggle those few people put up and the way they
win is, I think an example to all. And yes, the usage of guns originates
from the frontier times too. I've learned about that. But it is necessary to
ask a question, since this is an extropian chat list. It is quite simple:
does it have to be like that? I mean, it is the 21st century now. I've put
the Christianity topic to debate with an aim. Now the same aim stands for
the U.S. The usage of guns is a most controversial issue (even our American
teacher told us so) but is only one among many problems. What stood ground
well in previous times might not stand in a globalised world, right? What do
you think of this?

Thomas