[ExI] English-speaking Google News and Myanmar (Burma)

M1N3R m1n3r2 at hotmail.com
Mon May 19 20:08:47 UTC 2008

From: "Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 9:43 PM

> Thomas, I'm afraid you are showing an unerring talent for picking
> exactly the wrong topics. Historically, this list has been convulsed
> by episodes of increasingly vehement and unproductive abusive
> exchanges on the topic of gun ownership. Let's not go there again. (I
> agree the topic is important, but experience informs us that nothing
> is gained, and much can be lost, by trying to resolve it here.)

I'm sorry, I made an ambiguous sentence once again. I tried to use the
ownership of guns as a starting point. I find other aspects just as
interesting. Namely, changes in the way the United States is. I've learned
about U.S. history and I must say I loved the Declaration for example. The
New Deal, etc. Great works of great people. How they reached independence is
a good example of cooperation of the many for a common goal, I think.
Anyway, I always feel better when reading such amazing results of human team
work. What I was trying to ask was: how, if ever, could the United States
change to ensure their lasting existence as superpower? Actually, this might
well have been put to debate already, but it is a most recent issue I
assume. Seeing the rapid development the Chinese show and the relative
stagnation of Europe (too bad...). As I gather, what is at stake is no less
than the status quo of the States as leading superpower. This is nothing
compared to the Singularity, of course, but is an issue. The elections in
the U.S. show a most fascinating end, right? If you don't like politics, I
agree. Me neither. Then we should dump this mail and forget about it.

So, to sum up, I did not intend to speak about guns (although I'm interested
in small arms :)). Just read some thoughts about improving the situation in
the States. And granted, I've touched several sore points these days. I'll
keep an eye out in the future.

Thomas