[ExI] Extropian Principles 3.0

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Wed May 21 01:11:08 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 20 May 2008, M1N3R wrote:
> 3. self-direction: the first probably useful comment here.
> Self-direction is a really effective method, I've been practicing it
> without ever knowing what I did (Easterners again). However, it is
> only effective if one has the proper cognitive abilities. If one is,

Who is to say what Proper is?

> to put it like that, intelligent enough to grasp the essence. So,
> intelligence enhancement, no matter how it is done, is a priority if
> we wish to have a well-working liberal democracy. Aggression to

This sounds like something more for wta-talk than extropy-chat since
self-direction is ultimately about the self, and to a lesser extent the
direction of society, which we can of course influence via selfhood.

> suppress those unwilling to accept the ideals of others is really no
> good. Violence will give birth to even more violence. But in a world
> where each citizen understands what they can do and what they cannot
> only due to their intelligence would be quite right, would it not?

What? Citizenship? Can/cannot do - this isn't determined by politics.

> Main reason why I put up collective consciousness (which also
> requires intelligence augmentation). With that, violence could be
> completely avoided.

Not as long as you have scarcity memes running around. You'll still try
to fight over the land etc., but in truth there is quite a lot of
surface area if only you look upwards towards the other +99.9999% of
the local galaxy.

- Bryan