[ExI] flds raid, was general repudiation...

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Tue May 27 15:24:38 UTC 2008

>From the Amara Graps post:
At first it was 416 children abducted into its care; then it was 462. At
first, it was 31 underaged pregnancies; now it is 5...with defense
attorneys arguing that the number is actually 1, which would be far
below the national average for teen pregnancies BTW.

When the "dust settles" it will be very interesting to see what the
numbers really are for the FLDS community.  At this point I would not
put my faith in what the *defense attorneys* say.  But even if the
number is only one underage girl pregnant (especially if it is a case
of statutory rape), then the courts/system must deal with it and not
look the other way.

Damien Broderick wrote:
You mean, what if no Weapons of Mass Debauchery were found?

Oops. Oh, well.

I certainly admit there have been legal snafu's in how the government
dealt with things.  Perhaps Texans should not be put in positions of
power, on either the county, state or national level... LOL

Lee Corbin wrote:
Of course, when possible focus should be on what causes "conflicts
of visions", or value systems that are so at odds with each other.
Those like John have imbibed exactly what memes, as compared
to us?  I submit that the most of it is simply revulsion brought
about by 19th and mid-20th century American culture against
anything like polygamy, or early marriages (in their case).  And
a stalwart wish to be less judgmental---or at least according to
the Non Agression Principle, to act on our judgments---(in our
case).

I was raised Mormon and that does color my thinking.  I tend to have
mixed feelings about the practice of polygamy among early Mormons, as
many modern members of the Church indeed do.  The carrying on of the
practice into the present day due to the splinter groups, where on a
semi-regular basis I would hear news reports of very abused young
people escaping, really bothered me.

Despite the ongoing governmental abuses and mistakes, the larger
society (courts, law enforcement, and child protection) must from now
on closely monitor the institutionally dysfunctional/abusive FLDS
community.  But I admit that with all the government screw-ups, at
this point it is hard to say we/the larger society, have the high
ground by all that much.

But for me the *bottom line* is that the practice of older men getting
away with *statutory rape* must totally end as an institutionalized
part of the FLDS community.

John Grigg