[ExI] Here's some issues I have about the case...

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Thu May 29 11:28:23 UTC 2008

This post is about FLDS and the children?  If not, then please disregard my
response! :)

----------------------

> The issue that stricted me the most was how I thought I was on a more evolved list.
> This shouldn't even be a debate.  The legal factors yes, not the ideas presented
> behind it.  I read the WTA often and always find new ideas and debates.
> On the Extropy list it should be about progress not about political views.
> Reverting back to ancient practices and thoughts is not progress.  You can't defend
> all behavior.

IIUC you are disappointed in this list: it has more political opinion than you
expected. And who is defending all behavior?

> How does
> progress occur in less everyone is in agreement?

My readings indicate that progress often occurs when someone is *not* in agreement
and is exploring the new/different/other.

Which is not to defend FLDS in any way: I am not a member, do not wish to be a
member, find what I read of their worldview and belief system extremely
unattractive. However, I still haven't seen confirmation that all the "old guys"
there were involved in statutory rape with all the young teen girls.

In fact it seems to me that the parents and children are at more risk from the state.

> On a side note: Like physics, laws are created for the benefit of all.

I don't agree with this. IMHO *many* laws are created for the benefit of a few.

Regards,
MB