[ExI] Gazzumping the Dead

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 22:41:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Damien Broderick wrote:
> Jewish Group Wants Mormons to Stop Proxy Baptisms
> ========
>
> It's too late, because as a former Catholic I have already re-baptised all
> Mormons living and dead into the Roman faith. I await the move by leading
> Scientologists to Clear the thetans of all dead Mormons (at a cut rate).
> Postmortem soteriological predation is the new growth industry.

The dictionary that I looked up says that:
The term gazumping is not used in the United States. Every state has
different laws and traditions, but buyers typically make a written
offer that, when accepted (signed) by the seller, is in most
localities binding on the seller.
-----------

So your subject heading probably caused some puzzlement amongst your US readers.
Perfectly clear to me, though.  :)

At present the baptism for the dead procedure is pretty labour intensive.
Strikes me as an ideal application for some automation.
They already have huge genealogical computer records, so if the system
was computerized, it should be possible to get every dead person
converted to Mormonism fairly quickly as a one-off project.
Then a small team doing monthly updates could be busily converting the
newly dead.

But then wouldn't this make things more difficult for all the Mormon
missionaries? If you are going to be converted to Mormonism after
you're dead, then why should you let all this religious stuff
interfere with your normal life of sin and debauchery? (present
company excepted, of course).

BillK