[ExI] Personal Pronouns

Eschatoon Magic eschatoon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 06:28:51 UTC 2008

I like the new neutral pronouns used by Egan and others: ve, ver (ve
eats ver breakfast). I hope we will move towards a post gender word
and our languages will need non gendered forms. But the current trend
is reusing plural pronouns: they and theirs - overloading terms is
usually accepted more easily han inventing new ones.

G.

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 4:41 PM, ben <benboc at lineone.net> wrote:
> "spike" <spike66 at att.net> said:
>
>> When I say she or her I mean he or she and him or her.
>> I feel this was a mistake the inventors of the English language
>> made up front, and we have carried it.  Now is the time to correct
>> that.  Since I didn't know, I used the ambiguous gender her.
>
> Hmm.
>
> I don't see how feminine pronouns can be called ambiguous. Damien wasn't the
> only one to think that you thought Munroe was a woman.
>
> Here's an interesting site on gender-neutral pronouns:
> http://www.aetherlumina.com/gnp/
>
> Personally, I mostly use "they", "them", etc., for this. It works fine,
> everybody knows what I mean, no-one thinks I'm mistaken about someone's
> gender, and it doesn't sound silly.  But it doesn't always work well in a
> sentence, so you have to use it judiciously.
>
> I don't know what the best answer is, but I don't think calling everybody
> 'her' is it.
>
> Ben Zaiboc

Eschatoon Magic
http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Eschatoon