[ExI] Thoughts on Space based solar power

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Tue Nov 18 20:33:19 UTC 2008

Charles Miller has proposed legislation be passed similar to that in
Germany which provides that the utilities have to buy solar power at
a high per kWh rate for a limited amount and pass on the cost to
their customers.  We are still tuning the economic model, for one
thing, we are still trying to reach a consensus that $350 billion is
enough to finance the operation through profitability
.
I have been trying to draft something that makes an international
cooperative possible.  Try this for size.  Please comment.

"International provisions

"It is in the national interest of the United States for all
countries to have access to abundant, low cost, renewable energy,
particularly non nuclear energy.

"Therefore the market guarantee provisions of this legislation are
open on a reciprocal basis to companies based in any country that
enacts provisions essential identical market guarantees to those in
the above financing model for the purchase of space based solar energy.

"Because world wide energy security contributes greatly to US
national security, it is the intent of this legislation to remove
barriers to shared technology to solve shared energy problems.  In
particular, all technologies related to space based solar power are
exempted from ITAR."

Keith