[ExI] petaflop computers

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Nov 20 14:46:54 UTC 2008

Yes, and they need to go into a bit more detail about the specific class of
problems that can be solved with massively parallel computing.  Some
problems require linear calculations, most problems actually, so I am
interested in the fastest single processors.  Of course we can always make a
jillion of these and set them to work in parallel to play chess or searching
for record primes and such, but that is a limited class of calculations.

What is the state of the art in linear processing?  How many flops are we
getting out of the latest 2000 dollar consumer level machine?