[ExI] Thoughts on Space based solar power

Olie Lamb neomorphy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 23:38:30 UTC 2008

You're absolutely right. Clouds - and water vapour generally - make a
lot of difference for the radiation balance.  The main greenhouse gas
that does anything is water vapour.

But the only advantage of going above clouds, rather than around them
(deserts), is the difference in transmission distances, hence,
transmission costs.

To get above most of the clouds only requires going up 3 km or so.
However, there's plenty of weather up to 16,000 m, which could damage
balloons.

There are other ideas to keep things aloft for power generation
purposes, such as wind-farm kites- a friend of mine is doing a masters
on why this particular design isn't one of the more serious options
being looked at by industry (reason: because there are just too many
unknown costs)

All very possible stuff.  Just too many new engineering challenges for
investors.