[ExI] [wta-talk] my Convergence08 Adventure

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 13:22:49 UTC 2008

On 11/21/08, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
> The lunch meeting session was fruitful, thanks to everyone who was there.  I
> enjoyed having an in-depth conversation not only about Prop8, but also about
> synthetic biology and the Bioart which is soaring ahead in leaps in the
> world of biotechnology and experimentation.  I had a good talk with one of
> the conference's guest speakers - Andrew Hessel of Alberta Ingenuity Fund.
> We agreed that the panel on Synthetic Biology turned from the wet, moist
> stuff to issues of risk, which could have been an entirely different panel.
> Andrew invited me to lecture at his organization to the researchers on the
> latest works in Bioart and where practice and theory based works are heading
> and how the field of Bioart may be consequential to the field of synthetic
> biology.

Andrew and I hang out on the diybio.org group :-):
http://diybio.org/
http://openwetware.org/wiki/Andrew_Hessel

His talk at BioBarCamp was great, but I can't find a link to it, so
his SENS3 talk will have to suffice, which was slightly less polished:
http://richardjschueler.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=57070

And one day his site will be full of something:
http://pinkarmy.org/ "PinkArmy is the working name of an open source
biology project based in Canada that is taking aim at breast cancer
therapeutic development. The goal of the project is to create
personalized medicines that are safe, effective, and affordable. We
expect to be fully active in 2008. For more information, please email:
info at pinkarmy.org"

- Bryan