[ExI] A Mammoth for $10 Million

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 10:33:22 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 6:32 PM, John K Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Why would you need that, why would things have to be exact? Human genes
> have been expressed in yeast, and a yeast cell is not exactly the same as a
> human being. All life understands the language of DNA.

Besides that, the real point of such an experiment is not to  guarantee that
the final product closely corresponds to a Platonic idea of mammuth,
whatever it may be but that of seeing how (extinct) genetic stuff would
express in whatever initial conditions we may be able to establish.

Are we doing anything different, e.g., in the case of transgenic plants or
animals? By definition, they do not grow in a context they have ever evolved
in. Nor do, by the way, any natural mutants...

Stefano Vaj