[ExI] More Thoughts on Space based solar power (alternatives)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 19:35:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 4:03 PM, hkhenson wrote:
> There is no reason a crash program would not have a GW/day production system
> going on 6-7 years.  This could be kicked off by legislation that need not
> cost governments anything.  http://htyp.org/Miller%27s_method
<snip>

It's not an either / or situation.  We could have both!

It only takes a few businessmen and factories will soon be churning
out cheap thin-film solar cells and the population will be happily
coating their roofs, walls and windows, car roofs, hats, every
portable device, etc. This will be happening before the mega projects
have got off the ground.

But you can still be pushing for fusion power and space solar systems
projects while the population is moving their homes (mostly) off the
grid. Whether there will be sufficient public support for mega power
projects is another matter. But that's presumably what you'll be
working on. ;)

BillK