[ExI] QT and SR

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Sep 6 18:42:20 UTC 2008

At 07:35 PM 9/6/2008 +0200, Serafino wrote:

>These FTL "influences" cannot be true informations (not
>because this is forbidden by SR postulates, not because it
>is impossible to know if Alice performed her measurement
>before Bob, or viceversa, when they are space-like separated)
>because the process of quantum measurement is indeterministic.
>Alice cannot "force" a specific measurement outcome, thus
>cannot she send a definite message to Bob, and viceversa.
>Shimony called it the "peaceful coexistence" between QM and SR.

See, from my point of view, this whole discussion omits key empirical
data that seem clearly to undermine those standard claims. (John
Clark should cover his eyes at this point, and spend the next few
minutes soothingly muttering BULLSHIT BULLSHIT.) I feel like a
Renaissance telescopist listening to a roomful of Scholastics arguing
over which set of epicycles deals best with the motion of the Sun
around the Earth. "Hey, guys, come and look at these moons of
Jupiter." "Shaddap! Only the Earth can be the center for an orbital system..."

The empirical evidence for extra-chance correlations in psi
precognition experiments and natural experiments seems to me now
beyond doubt (and, unlike most doubters, I've actually looked closely
at a lot of the evidence). If that is so, then we already know that
carefully prepared states of the world at t-now correlate
significantly often, although with no apparent inside-the-lightcone
causal influence, with states at t-future or t-past.

Since we live in a world pretty well described by a mix of relativity
and QT, this fact has to be consistent with those scholia, but in
ways that have not yet been accepted as canonical (or perhaps not
even thought up yet).

So rather than asserting endlessly and pointlessly that X *can't*
happen because reigning doctrine seems to argue against its
possibility, even though X *does* occur quite often, physicists might
be well advised to start looking for loopholes that permit these
effects. Maybe entanglement is one; or maybe some version of Cramer's
second time dimension, coupling past and future. Or maybe there's
leakage in the Simulation.

Damien Broderick