[ExI] New Browser: Google Chrome

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 00:49:10 UTC 2008

2008/9/7 BillK <pharos at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 2:13 AM, Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Really totally off topic for anything, but Google's new open source
>> browser, Chrome, is awesome. I would normally find a new browser to be
>> a very dull thing, but this one is major cool. Noticeably faster than
>> IE and Firefox, very slick, everything seems to work well, cool new
>> geek tools hiding away in there.
>>

> Well, lots of positive reviews and some carping from FireFox users.
>
> It is a beta release, and Google says improvements are on the way, so
> it might be wise to wait a while. It is free to test, of course.  :)

It's definitely got bugs, and some sites are not ok. Most are fine though.

> Some reports say it is a bit of a resource hog, effectively opening up
> a new windows process for every tab. The advantage is that if one tab
> crashes, all the other tabs are unaffected (in theory).

Open a lot of stuff, including pdfs, pages with flash, what have you.
Then open Chrome's task manager and start killing things. It's
graceful degradation is really quite lovely.

> As each
> process grabs some resources, it seems obvious that it will have a
> bigger footprint than FireFox. Some go so far as to say it is designed
> for new high-powered pcs with GBs of memory and fast processors.
> See:
> <http://blog.marcchung.com/2008/09/chromes-process-model-explained.html>
>
> Chrome doesn't do extensions or themes yet. Google says they are under
> development.

I'm a huge fan of firefox plugins, so it's hard living without them.

> Personally, I find browsing without Adblock Plus a pretty miserable
> web experience.
>
> BillK

I don't use any ad blocking. I mostly don't go to sites with intrusive
ads anyway.

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com - my home