[ExI] Food for thought

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 09:05:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Emlyn wrote:
> I think there is a definitional problem regarding "religion" in these arguments.
> Generally, definitions of religion (by their followers primarily, and
> what John is thinking of I think) would look like:
>
> Religion = Metaphysics + Culture
>
> Contrastingly, I think Atheists / secularists (and Keith's position
> above) would say
>
> Religion = Metaphysics
> and
> Metaphysics = Blatantly wrong and probably dangerous memetic infection

And also there are swindlers who use the description 'religion' to
implement organized fraud.

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/08/AR2008090800917.html>

Quote:
Judge Jean-Christophe Hullin ruled that the $cientologists' Celebrity
Center, bookstore and seven Church leaders should be tried for fraud
and "illegally practicing as pharmacists."
$cientology has faced numerous setbacks in France, with members
convicted of fraud in Lyon in 1997 and Marseille in 1999. In 2002, a
court fined it for violating privacy laws and said it could be
dissolved if involved in similar cases.

BillK