[ExI] QT and SR

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 18:17:53 UTC 2008

--- Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> The splitting can be said to occur while they were separated, but
> should we say that they were in the same universe they are revealed to
> be in when they meet even while they were separated? It seems to me
> that the Alice outside Bob's light cone who will eventually be
> demonstrated to be in "same" world is just as unreachable, just as
> causally isolated from him as the Alice in the "other" world. Perhaps
> this could be dismissed as a mere philosophical point, but it does
> emphasise that no FTL communication is possible or necessary.

I don't see why people would have a problem with the possible FTL nature of a
correlation in the EPR experiment, or wave-function collapse, but have no
problem with the idea of the entire universe being causally split in the mere
seconds it takes for someone to make a measurement, each and *every* time a
measurement is made. Perhaps one of the Everettistas could explain this to me.
If the split starts at Alice and travels at c toward Bob, if Bob is space-like
separated it won't ever reach him.

If you imagine that the universe is a sheet of paper, it doesn't matter what
dimension you split it in, whether you simply rip it in half or peel it apart
along the plane, the split still has to travel at some finite speed. Or lets
say it's simply the information in the universe that is splitting like a file
being copied. The larger the file, the longer it will take to be copied, even
if you don't edit the file to make sure that one of the particles had its spin
reversed. Of course if MWI is *magical* or something, then I suppose the
splitting makes sense.

Stuart LaForge

"See them clamber, these nimble apes!  They clamber over one another, and thus scuffle into the mud and the abyss."- Friedrich Nietzsche