[ExI] Security 2001 (was Re: [wta-talk] Christian Transhumanist Declaration)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 19:45:06 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Harvey Newstrom wrote:
> You know, I got a lot of condemnation for that speech.  Some thought it was
> good and accurate.  But most people thought I was outrageously overhyping
> the issues as a scare tactic for my career.  Believe it or not, most people
> simply did not believe that corporations were profiling and tracking
> customers, that governments had routine domestic spying programs, or that
> hacking would turn into big business with advertising and information
> brokering.  This all seems obvious to us to day, and did to security
> professionals back then, but the general public as still mostly oblivious.

Yea.  My friends tell me to stop being so paranoid about security.
They think I've got a fixation or something.

In several cases they have since brought their computer round for me
to spend a day cleaning hundreds of viruses and trojans off. And,
could I please repeat that stuff about firewalls and anti-virus and
safe computing that I was rabbiting on about the other week?  ;)

BillK