[ExI] the what race?

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Sep 13 21:13:39 UTC 2008

> ...On Behalf Of Harvey Newstrom
> >"Take control of the American hero and wipe out the Muslim
> race with an
> >arsenal of the world's most destructive weapons," the
> "Muslim Massacre" Web site says.
>
> This is yet another example where it is not the Muslims
> claiming to be a race.  It is stupid racists who want to wipe
> out other races that can't tell the difference... Harvey Newstrom

This whole line of discussion gives me an idea.  Humanity has long struggled
to defeat racism, but few would argue today that the effort is or has been
successful.  So I propose we redefine the goal.  Altho we may eventually be
able to modify our genetic makeup, thereby essentially having the option to
choose our race, we cannot do so today.  We may change our hair and skin
color, and even our physical characteristics to some extent (ex. Michael
Jackson and ExtenZe for instance) but we currently cannot change our
genetics.  So I propose we redefine race as something that we do control,
something that we choose.  If we do that, then racism, criticism of a race,
generalization about a race are all perfectly legitimate exercises,
analogous to criticism of political parties.  I am proposing we transfer our
thinking from a genotype to a memetype.  Perhaps we call them meces.

We currently think of three main races, broadly: European, African and
Asian, and their subtypes (racelets?), so I propose three main meces and
their mecelets.  Over time we can let meces take on more and more racelike
characteristics, until traditional racism is defeated or forgotten, replaced
by legitimate mecism.  I propose orange, purple and green.  They can have
sub-meces, so that for instance an orange with a particular drive to amass
lots of money might be a gold racelet.  At least at first it would be a gold
mecelet.

There is currently a global green movement, so we can distinguish that from
the broader greens by defining it as a memelet of green, call them
enviro-greens for instance.  Of course one can take on characteristics of
all three meces, until one can be defined as black.  Or one can disagree
with everything everyone says, until one is white.

Eventually perhaps memist thinking would replace racist thinking.

Do play with this idea in the spirit in which it is proposed.