[ExI] the Spanish today

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Sep 14 07:01:26 UTC 2008

At 11:46 PM 9/13/2008 -0700, Lee wrote these gilded words:

>"And why weren't my people there first?", asked Angelo, quite
>conscious that every place from Florida to Tierra Del Fuego to
>the Phillipines had been explored and colonized by Spain.
>
>"Because, Angelo", said I, "there wasn't any gold there!", to
>which he gave a hearty laugh.

Bad luck, bum steer. The place was loaded with so much of the stuff
that the gold rushes of Australia are legendary,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_gold_rushes

e.g. "1872 - Worlds largest ever gold nugget was discoverd by
Bernhard Otto Holterman."

and paid for the wonderful buildings of Victoria. And brought a lot
of Chinese miners, and market gardeners, to Oz. Bad luck, Spaniards!

Damien Broderick