[ExI] What Makes People Vote Republican

Fred C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Thu Sep 18 06:03:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 18:27 -0700, Damien Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 05:04:14PM -0700, Lee Corbin wrote:
>
> > Whether or not the government passes lots of ridiculous laws about
> > abortion, or who can sleep with whom, or whether the kiddies must
> > or must not pray in school---all these seem trivial to me in comparison.
>
> Let me guess... the author is a straight man.
>
> What matters more?  Growth tomorrow, or rights today?

Let me state the obvious: individual liberty is not trivial to a
libertarian.  Damien, your point is spot on.  It is rather difficult to
enjoy economic growth if a man or woman is in prison for having a sexual
experience with a member of the same sex.

One of the major problems that the libertarian movement has is the
number of people who call themselves libertarians yet fundamentally do
not understand it and really are just conservatives.  These people are
not libertarians they are just poseurs.

Fred