[ExI] QT and SR

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Sep 19 06:55:14 UTC 2008

Serafino asks a lot of good questions. Fortunately I am not
in a state of mind to waver on anything, or to resist answering.
Or unfortunately. Wha'ever.

> Subtle questions. And the possible answers depend
> on the specific points of view, or interpretations.
> What are these states?

Actually existing configurations of matter and energy!

> Are they physical?

Yes.

> Are they mathematical?

Our descriptions of them are mathematical.

> Are they statistical?

No.

> Do they represent information carried by a quantum system?

Yes.

> Do they represent observer's information?

Not only that.

> Rather, do they represent the 'image' of the information carried by
> a quantum system?

Yes, that too.

> Do they represent experimental contexts?

Yes.

> Do they represent statistical ensembles?

No.

> Or do they represent single systems?

Yes.

> Are they subjective?

Certainly not!

> Are they objective?

Yes!

> Are they tendencies, propensities, potentialities?

No!

> Are they actualities?

Yes! Yes!

> Should we give up the possibility of treating the wave function as
> an isomorphic image of what is actually processed in the laboratory?

Never! Never give up!

> In QM the outcome of a measurement - repeated many
> times - of an observable, isn't in general the same.
> So QM gives the expectation value of the observable
> to be measured. (In special cases it gives the actual
> outcome of the measurement, non just the expectation
> value).

Right.

> While it is possible to say that QM does not care of
> unperformed measurements, what can we say about the
> value of an observable between two measurements?
> Is it undefined? Is it unknowable?

It is a superposition before the measurements, it is a
superposition between the measurements, and it will
be a superposition after the measurements. Superposition
now, superposition tomorrow, and superposition forever!
(If I cain't get segregation, I'll jist settle for superposition, me.)

Aren't you lucky I am in such a decisive state of mind
tonight?   DON'T  ANSWER!

Lee