[ExI] Open Learning?

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 07:08:01 UTC 2008

Is anyone well versed on open learning tools / communities online?

I've been thinking of doing a deal more study recently, for interest /
self-improvement rather than quals. There are some good materials out
there these days from universities, notably

- MIT Open Courseware - http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm
- Stanford's Engineering Everywhere program -
http://www.deviceguru.com/2008/09/17/stanford-frees-cs-robotics-courses/
- Wikiversity.org looks good too

which is all good.

However, a bit more of the structure of uni would be nice;
particularly a cohort of people doing the same course, so some
supportive culture could build up around it. I don't think I would
really care about having a formal "lecturer" for a "course", but
someone in a light-on tutor role might be nice. Or maybe the group of
participants could just help each other out, and dispense with that?

Does anyone know of anything like that happening online anywhere?

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com - my home
http://point7.wordpress.com - downshifting and ranting