[ExI] What Makes People Vote Republican

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Sep 19 14:49:20 UTC 2008

> ...On Behalf Of Emlyn
> - our family has gotten along just fine without any insurance.

Emlyn you are young as I recall.  Congratulations in any case, and best
wishes to you and the continuing good health of your family.  {8-]

> I think mandatory insurance is probably a bad idea; it starts
> to warp the very idea of insurance. Should insurers have to
> insure bad risk clients, the same as everyone else? Not, I
> would think. Universal basic healthcare is a job for the
> government, for sure.
>
> --
> Emlyn

The problem I see with that notion is that it sticks the taxpayer with all
the bad risks that private industry will not take, but without the option of
dropping the client.  That being the case, it seems logical that the
government would take possession of the health habits of its clients in
order to protect the bottom line.  We know for instance that diabetes is
costing a fortune.  The government could decide to tax sugar and corn syrup
imports to the point where they are uncompetitive with artificial sweeteners
and domestic sugar, much of which is being made into fuel ethanol.

Actually when I write that, it doesn't sound like such a bad idea.