[ExI] Evolution "for the Good of the Group"

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 22:25:13 UTC 2008

During most of the human EEA, "group" and "relative" overlapped.  The
tribe was the group and the tribe (or even smaller bands) were mostly
relatives.  Now taking risk and even dying for a group of relatives is
sound gene selection of the Hamilton/inclusive fitness variety.  The
fact that these mechanisms can be fooled in modern times when we no
longer live with tribal relatives is not a surprise.

But it is discouraging to see people who should know better taking this stand.

Keith