[ExI] Evolution "for the Good of the Group"

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Sep 21 06:22:48 UTC 2008

> ...On Behalf Of hkhenson
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Evolution "for the Good of the Group"
>
> At 03:58 PM 9/19/2008, spike wrote:

> >Hi Keith, please clarify.  What stand is discouraging?...
> If you can make a case for group selection that isn't covered
> by gene selection, please do or point me to cogent arguments.
>
> Keith

I cannot, this being out of my area of expertise.  What I have thought for a
long time is that the field of evolution desperately needs computer models
or simulations.  We managed to get those working in the aerospace business
only within the last decade.  To simulate evolution would perhaps require
another order of magnitude more computing horsepower and sophistication, but
I think we can do it.  I would like to see feedback control theory applied
to evolutionary models.