[ExI] ants again

ben benboc at lineone.net
Mon Sep 22 07:05:58 UTC 2008

"Mike Dougherty" <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 1:27 PM, ben <benboc at lineone.net> wrote:
 > > I think that you may well get no ants in the gak pit (What the hell
is Gak,
 > > anyway??) in either case.
 > >
 > > Can you guess why?

 > free-range anteaters mistake the experiment for a free lunch?

Well, that's the spirit of it.

I was thinking predation. Not so much anteaters (although, who knows?..)
as birds, spiders, bigger insects, that sort of thing.

Spike mentioned another reason though. Tiny critters do tend to stay put
when dead, unless something knocks them off their perch. Maybe the
stranded ants die of starvation, but don't fall out of the tree, they
get blown out of it, and so don't fall downward, they fall sideways.

Ben Zaiboc