[ExI] Yet another health care debate.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Sep 23 06:39:38 UTC 2008

At 01:19 AM 9/23/2008 -0500, I wrote:

>By the way, some extreme libertarians *do*, from time to time, or
>even all the time. Larry Niven, for example.

In case anyone's wondering, Niven coined the delightful phrase "Think
of it as evolution in action." And in a recent expression of this view...

<http://www.groupnewsblog.net/2008/04/sci-fi-author-larry-niven-wants-to-kill.html>

"Niven said a good way to help hospitals stem financial losses is to
spread rumors in Spanish within the Latino community that emergency
rooms are killing patients in order to harvest their organs for transplants.

"The problem [of hospitals going broke] is hugely exaggerated by
illegal aliens who aren't going to pay for anything anyway," Niven said.

"Do you know how politically incorrect you are?" Pournelle asked.

"I know it may not be possible to use this solution, but it does
work," Niven replied.

Let the bastards sicken and die, the gullible fools, right?

PC, eh. How about contemptible, illegal, monstrous? But can it have
anything to do with Niven's extreme libertarian convictions? Gee, I
dunno about that, might be just a coincidence.

(Oh, and it might be easier for Niven to pay for anything when he's
very ill, as he has been; he was handed a million dollars on his 21st
birthday by his father.)

Damien Broderick