[ExI] Yet another health care debate.

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 13:30:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Damien Sullivan  wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 05:18:46AM -0700, Lee Corbin wrote:
>
>> Yes, but you must also look at just *where* the medical and
>> technological advances are being made. Doesn't the U.S. by
>> far outweigh other countries' contributions?
>
> If true, are these contributions fundamental, or minor variants of
> existing drugs?  Not that those are worthless, but.
>
> If true, is that because of the "free market", or because of our
> excellent universities and government funded research system?

I don't think anyone can deny that the US has (in some places)
excellent advanced expensive medical care. The overall statistics are
terrible though because it is not available to the whole population.

So to improve the stats, the US can either extend the reach of medical
care or get rid of all these poor sick people who ruin the figures.

So far, charity doesn't seem to be helping them much.
(But then that is probably because the US doesn't have enough
libertarians, whose largesse would soon solve the problem - in theory)
 ;)

BillK