[ExI] The reassurances of Fascism aka Progressive Corporatism

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Sep 23 13:35:27 UTC 2008

NYT conservative commentator David Brooks sez:

Over the next few years, the U.S. will have to
climb out from under mountainous piles of debt.
Many predict a long, gray recession. The country
will not turn to free-market supply-siders. Nor
will it turn to left-wing populists. It will turn
to the safe heads from the investment banks. For
Republicans, people like Paulson. For Democrats,
the guiding lights will be those establishment
figures who advised Barack Obama last week ­
including Volcker, Robert Rubin and Warren Buffett.

These time-tested advisers, or more precisely,
their acolytes, are going to make the health and
survival of the financial markets their first
order of business, because without that
stability, the entire economy will be in danger.
Beyond that, they will embrace a certain sort of governing approach.

The government will be much more active in
economic management (pleasing a certain sort of
establishment Democrat). Government activism will
provide support to corporations, banks and
business and will be used to shore up the stable
conditions they need to thrive (pleasing a
certain sort of establishment Republican). Tax
revenues from business activities will pay for
progressive but business-friendly causes ­
investments in green technology, health care
reform, infrastructure spending, education reform and scientific research.

If you wanted to devise a name for this approach,
you might pick the phrase economist Arnold Kling
has used: Progressive Corporatism. We’re not
entering a phase in which government stands back
and lets the chips fall. We’re not entering an
era when the government pounds the powerful on
behalf of the people. We’re entering an era of
the educated establishment, in which government
acts to create a stable ­ and often oligarchic ­
framework for capitalist endeavor.

After a liberal era and then a conservative era,
we’re getting a glimpse of what comes next.

[Right]