[ExI] Yet another health care debate.

sjatkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Sep 24 02:58:03 UTC 2008

Damien Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 06:31:07PM -0700, Lee Corbin wrote:
>

>> even the state knows all and sees all---the difference is that
>> most people on the list (now, sadly)  want government *policy*
>> to entitle everyone to at least food, clothing, and shelter.)
>>

> Has this list shifted to the left in recent months?  Last few times I
> was dipping in it seemed even more extremely libertarian than in years
> past, with you, Rafal, and Samantha Atkins holding the line against
> government ever being useful for anything.

Generally I have been too busy or flummoxed of late to post much here.
I am very happy to be grouped with Rafal as generally I find his
opinions admirable and often expressed with more patience and wit than I
manage.   I don't know if this list as such has a political flavor or
even should.  I know there are a lot of things political said here I
think are really bizarre and not all of them are non-"libertarian"
either.  But if you have been around very long then you know Rafal and I
are pretty mellow compared to many that have graced this list in days
gone by.

Personally I do think the list is if anything more left leaning than
not.   Not sure I care that much except that I think our dreams of
radical human transformation require much more freedom from governmental
coercion than many seem to appreciate.   I also distrust and abhor
government more by the  day.   I am very afraid that  government  has
screwed things up so badly that all of our dreams will be  on hold for
at least a geneartion if not longer.    Of course relative freedom and
private organizations will get the lion's share of blame *again* and
ever greater and more dictatorial powers to the State will be heralded
as our only hope.   So it goes.

- samantha