[ExI] Yet another health care debate.

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Sep 26 00:45:50 UTC 2008

Samantha writes

> On Sep 23, 2008, at 8:06 PM, Damien Broderick wrote:

>>> What you just wrote is disgusting.
>>
>> I rather thought that's what BillK and I were saying, Fred--that the
>> opinion is disgusting yet one can find it enunciated by some
>> libertarians, even here. ("Even" here? You know, I've rarely seen it
>> spelled out so brutally anywhere else.)
>
> It was neither disgusting nor what "some libertarians" think.  It was
> merely nothing that a dynamic imperfect system has optimal points
> within the limits of its capabilities that still allow significant
> misfortune to some number of people within the system.  It is a truism.

Samantha, I'm afraid it's hopeless. It's a classic case of
symbols over substance. No matter *how* much had I
emphasized "millions", it could have been trigintillions for
all the difference it would have made, nor no matter how
*few* I emphasized ("very few" obviously didn't cut it), the
outcome would have been the same. "Revulsion", "disgust", and
all the primal emotions at odds with cognitive processing rule.

I hoped for better.

I wonder if most folks here would excoriate traffic
engineers, who do assign a dollar cost to human lives.
They really do; this barrier here will cost X dollars, but
only Y lives will be saved, so no dice. I understand
that to the state of California, a human life in these
terms used to be around 30K, but I don't know what
it is today. But whatever it is, I'm sure it's secret.

The reality doesn't matter to them---almost all that matters
are intentions. You can feel very good about yourself,
I suppose, if you endorsed the measures that promised
(however unrealistically) to save all people everywhere,
or which quadrupled the tax rate to save a single life
somewhere, or who promised that no expense
will be spared to save a human life.

In other worlds, were people more rational, or were I just talking
to a few here that come to mind, I would even be embarrassed
to have begun like this

"Even"? "Probably"? "a very few" instead of "some"?

Indeed how old-fashioned the words "freedom" and "liberty"
appear when compared to "provide", "care", and "support".
Instead of "give me liberty or give me death", people today
would add "but first and foremost, take care of me mommy".

Lee