[ExI] Who's stealing our universe?

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Sep 26 01:03:08 UTC 2008

Damien S takes on Damien B:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 04:39:33PM -0500, Damien Broderick wrote:
>> Very interesting post from Lee. The part in the original claim that I
>> don't understand is how the gravitation of Vast amounts of clumped
>> matter spacelike separated from (outside the lightcone of) the
>> visible universe could possibly be affecting us?

Ah, a most illuminating and profound point, sahib. This for
me increases the probability that the entire article is talking
rubbish from .173 to .71 even.

> AIUI, it's outside the lightcone of our part of the visible universe.
> Not outside the part that we see being influenced.
>
> I don't know that that makes sense given stationary lightcones,

None, I should think (I take "stationary" to mean the light cone
of an event, which is all that can be meant SFAIK).

> but the flowing galaxies are moving away from us at high speed,
> which does things to the axes of the lightcone, and the details
> exceeds my grasp of special relativity.

I think you want to mean "general relativity". So far as I know,
in SR and GR light cones contain the entire past history of
the universe affecting an event, (or if it's particle pair creation,
then, effecting the particle pair). So as "B" here is implying,
if the "vast entities" affect visible entities, then light from them
should be able to get here, and they too would be part of
the visible universe.

Maybe as "S" says, though, the curvature of our entire visible
universe could be pronounced enough to be producing strange
results. But as the scientist being interviewd (Kashlinsky)
said, "this is just pure speculation".

Lee