[ExI] "increasingly coherent over increasing context"

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Sep 26 15:00:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> Jef writes
>
>> Can anyone here suggest a simple term meaning "increasingly coherent
>> over increasing context" with regard to this property corresponding
>> with the expected competence of an agent's model of effective
>> interaction with its environment?  It seems such a fundamental and
>> generally applicable concept, similarly appropriate to philosophy of
>> science, but I get a **lot** of email offlist from people saying they
>> tend to get lost after about the second "increasingly" whenever I try
>> to express lexically, concepts better expressed mathematically.
>
> I would suggest avoiding reliance on any staple phrase...

Thanks Lee for your advice on effective prose, and I have no doubt
that varying my wording, coming at the topic from various angles, and
above all -- examples -- would help.  On the other hand, consider the
vast literature surrounding the extremely simple core of Buddhist
enlightenment and how few persons make the necessary conceptual leap.
Or consider the sheer volume of Eliezer's near-daily essays, most of
which graze this conceptual space, chipping away but not yet fully
exposing the elegant synthesis of the subjective and objective
essential to a coherent metaethics. A few years ago I began to outline
a persuasively comprehensive text, and very quickly confronted an
explosion of possible backgrounds and points of view that would have
to be accommodated.  I came to realize that given available time and
bandwidth for online textual interaction, I would have to be content
with merely planting seeds and watching for the rare germination.

But back to my request to the list, my question was not so much about
rhetorical technique or devices, but to the question of whether we
already have a term for "increasingly coherent over increasing
context", and if not, why not?  Feel free to neologize.

- Jef