[ExI] The "Unreasonable" Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Sep 27 03:05:00 UTC 2008

At 12:40 PM 9/27/2008 +1000, Stathis wrote:

> > nature of ***meaning***.   What possible meaning is there to X if X
> > isn't defined in terms of any observable interaction?
>
>Is this position equivalent to positivism?

Suppose one said instead "any conceivable interaction"? (This is
thorny territory, but I suppose superstrings and brane bulks etc are
not observable, but we account for what *is* observable by specifying
certain interactions that calculation draws out as likely, or, better
yet, impossible, from those postulated primitives.)

Damien Broderick