[ExI] Relativity in Linearly Moving and Rotating Frames

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Sep 29 05:19:19 UTC 2008

At 09:50 PM 9/28/2008 -0700, Lee wrote:

>>once you grasp that the Earth is rotating once a day, how obvious
>>is it which body is orbiting the other?
>
>One is supposed to be able to shut oneself up in a laboratory
>and confirm whether or not one is in an accelerated frame.
>(Foucault  pendulum

Yes, but I don't happen to have one about my person. Nobody does. We
"know" naively that the sun spins around the earth because we *see*
the bloody thing moving while *we're* plainly not moving. Which has
nothing at all to do with which one orbits the other, but gave almost
all humans the overwhelming impression that it does. Now, when we
break free of that motionless flat earth illusion, but before we set
up huge slow pendulums, I'm not sure it's all that obvious that the
earth orbits the sun. I mean, the planets cavort back and forth, so
they're special cases, break out the epicycles, Jim, but both sun and
moon plod along in much the same way, yet we're meant to intuit that
one orbits earth and the other doesn't. (Well, one's bright all the
time and the other waxes and wanes, which is a clue--but what if we
orbited Jupiter instead? Gets tricky, neh?) I suspect most of us
non-scientists "know" the true answer only because we've been told
repeatedly since childhood.

Damien Broderick