[ExI] The Excitement-Disillusionment-Reorientation cycle of online transhumanism

Florent Berthet florent.berthet at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 15:42:55 UTC 2009

Very true. We have to be effective. Maybe we should focus on discussions
about what we can do and how we can do it?
So I'm asking everybody : according to you, what are the most important
things you want to see achieved, and what are your plans to get them done ?

My idea, as I spoke about in the "I am now a creationist" thread, is to make
"a great transhuman utopian movie, where things actually GO well, and about
which people would think "Wow, if only we could have that!". Then, it could
only be a matter of time before some rich folks start to fund things like
the Singularity Institute and other AGI related projects. Because now,
obviously, they are not moved by these ideas. It seems like we can't
convince rich guys to give money using clever arguments. And since they
don't think that funding an AGI project will make them earn money, the only
way to make them give anyway is to use feelings. Indeed, they may see the
act of giving money as charity. But you don't manage charity with arguments,
you manage it with tears, whether they are tears of sadness, or tears of
hope. You don't make people give money to the starving children by saying
"thousands of them die each day". You make them give money by showing them a
picture of ONE starving little girl. That's the way it is. We have to use
the power of pictures. This would be the most effective way to expand this
movement around the world."

It will take several years and a massive amount of work and money, but I'm
currently on it.

Anyway that's my project. What's yours ?

- Florent Berthet