[ExI] The Excitement-Disillusionment-Reorientation cycle of online transhumanism

Florent Berthet florent.berthet at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 23:30:30 UTC 2009

Hi Jimmy,
I've just read your amazon review of Shannon's book, and I'll soon check the
script, it seems interesting.

About the movie, when you say there was no interest for it in Hollywood,
what were the reasons exactly ? What kind of audience are you looking at ?

Those issues are important because I think we need something that can be
seen as the next Matrix in terms of success. By the way, I find it pretty
impressive and encouraging how big was that success given the topics
involved. I don't think I would have bet on it at first (sure, there was the
Keanu Reeves card, but still...).

As for my personal screenplay, I have the overall picture and I'm now
getting into the details. The story takes place in the near future (around
fifty years from now, definitely less than a hundred years), in a recently
created virtual world where the humans can upload themselves and live à la
Egan's Permutation City, but with real mind-blowing epic fun. I will try to
make it clear that it's actually a trully possible future by making people
understand during the beginning that some years in the past, a team of
scientists succeeded in making an AGI, which quickly managed to get the
interest and sympathy of the people by being really smart, funny, and by
being a great advisor on every subject. Then this AGI gained more political
influence, and eventually, since she was so popular, some governments were
forced to apply what she was proposing. Year after year, people could see
the great improvements taking place all over the world, and finally, one day
she introduced the virtual world with a speech along those lines:

"During the past years, you have been giving me your trust. You allowed me
to help you by all the necessary means, and together we have been able to
get rid of most of the major world issues. But this is nothing compared to
what I can offer you today. Let's try something : just imagine the best
thing that could happen in your life. Go on, try it, even the craziest thing
you can think of. Done ? Good. Well I can assure you that whatever that is,
I have *way* better for you. Welcome to your new home."

So that is basically the starting point and it shouldn't take more than a
tenth of the movie's duration. For the rest, it's pretty tricky do make a
fiction where nothing is going wrong or where there isn't any real threat
involved, but it's not at all unsolvable. Indeed, for once we can use an
environment where there aren't any limits. We can literally make the best
action scenes ever because, well, screw the laws of physics! Same thing with
the mystery or weirdness of the events, the beauty of the sets, or anything
that can shape the story. The only limit is the imagination, and it will
also be a key point within the movie itself.

The guideline is about a young guy that will wake up in that world (for a
very valid reason...), not knowing where he is, and discovering the life in
there. In particular, he will discover the Games (yes, with a capital G.),
and how pretty much everything will be about them from now on. The games,
like I said, will take place in a context of infinite possibilities, which
will permit some never saw before kinds of stuff. The kinds there were in
Tron but a lot more complex and fun, and not only based on techno-creepy
environments. Every part of them must be highly attractive. After all, the
aim is to make people really really want that future.

After having finished the screenplay (it's far from being done), and given
the nature of most of the scenes, a finely detailed storyboard will be the
least I can do to hope making a big director go woo-hoo. That's why the time
and efforts needed are huge, but so could be the potential results.

Florent Berthet