[ExI] Mind Uploading article in Wikipedia

Michael Miller ain_ani at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 16:12:28 UTC 2009

Emlyn said:

For me, the inescapable answer to the "but it's not me" objection is
"well then, show us this me". It's just not possible; whatever you
point at that might be you leads to absurdity.
--
Emlyn - the reason people will not accept this is because what we mean by the word 'me' can never refer to something outside of oneself. The word necessarily encompasses a sense of interiority. Anything which one can point to and say "that" cannot, logically, be "me". This is the only reason, and it's not because of a belief in some metaphysical self, it's because our conventions about the word don't allow us to use it in reference to something oneself does not inhabit. The self can be referred to in the third person is not the self, our grammar of thought doesn't work in that way.

Of course, the flipside to this is that we do not have the same conventions regarding 'you', 'she' or 'he'. Therefore, it is perfectly permissible (and comprehensible) to say, "that (simulation) is her in exactly the same way that this (body) is her".

But a "that" can never be "me"...it will only ever be a that, he or she. (Or you).