[ExI] Is this an April Fool's hoax? was What's wrong with this picture?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 08:41:24 UTC 2009

On 4/6/09, Jeff Davis wrote:
>  In the middle of the piece, we find the comment:
>
>  "When Phoenix returned to Earth Nov. 10, 2008, researchers analyzed
>  the soil collected from the lander."
>
>  But I'm sure no Mars mission has returned any samples to Earth.  I
>  then went to the top of the Michigan Daily web page and saw that the
>  article was dated April 1st.  I have not even checked the Phoenix
>  mission website to confirm.

Phoenix analyzed the soil and sent the results back to Earth.

>From the BBC (not run by kids)
Quote:
But Nasa's Phoenix lander has shown the presence in Martian soil of
perchlorate salts, which can keep water liquid at temperatures of
minus 70C.
Pockets of brine might form when soil interacted with ice.

Researchers have been discussing the idea at the 40th Lunar and
Planetary Science Conference (LPSC), here in The Woodlands, Texas.

BillK