[ExI] Mind Uploading article in Wikipedia

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 12:59:08 UTC 2009

2009/4/7 John K Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:

>> You haven't explained how vitalism or dualism would
>> add anything new to the claim that "it's not really me"
>> when one already agrees that the copy will be *exactly*
>> like me, from materialist considerations alone.
>
> For 15 years I've heard people bellow "But that just wouldn't be me!".  In
> those 15 years without exception the arguments proffered to support that
> claim were completely idiotic; I haven't heard one that wasn't
> embarrassingly stupid. The only way it could possibly be true is that the
> copy isn't me because it doesn't have my soul. I don't believe in souls, but
> I admit I'm a weirdo.

I agree with you and I would like to hear a consistent explanation for
why the copy in the teleporter won't really be me but the copy that
walks across the room will be me. No-one says, My soul is transferred
when I walk but not when I teleport. You're suggesting that this is
what they mean whether they say it or not, but I don't think that this
is what they mean. I think the confusion lies elsewhere.

--
Stathis Papaioannou