[ExI] [wta-talk] The Excitement-Disillusionment-Reorientation cycle of online transhumanism

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Tue Apr 7 13:22:51 UTC 2009

Ralp wrote:

"So most of us are, whether professionals or non-professionals, left waiting
breathlessly on the closing of the Final Circuit in an AI godling, or the
First Upload, or the True Assembler. And in the meantime, the True Believers
can seem like a particularly odd, post-modern cult (if a well-educated one),
whose more extreme members seem to be rocking back and forth repeating the
technobabble equivalent of "The /Paingod/! He /Rises/! /He *Rises*/!"
I think you are serioulsy mistaken."

You are seiously mistaken.  While it is fictional to compare h+ with Good
Friday and Palm Sunday, it is not critical and critical thinking is a
essential element of h+.  And here is the rub:  We can get all dramatic and
Hamlet about it, but the poison of death as stirred in our drink from mother
nature is a romantic way of accepting the foibles of human nature and nature
itself.

I would say that most professional, and non-professinal (whatever that
menas, but I'm assuming those who are professionals in some sort of business
or have credentials in a field) are being proactive about our own lifes,
i.e., advancing our knowledge awareness about our current condition and
future possibilities for eradicating our postion, adapting to changes as
they come about, forcasting our own personal existence - what emotional,
physciolgical, eudcational skills we need to employ in order to live a full
life, preparing for the possibilities of disease as they could arise from
our genetic makeup and our enviironmental circumstances, and investigating
and questioning the emerging and convernign sciences and technologies which
could offer an altenrative to a limited lifespan and offer continued
personal existence in platforms other than biological.  This is all
pragmatic.

You also say, "Enthusiasts, on the other hand, could potentially serve the
goals of human enhancement and longevity simply by adopting disciplines and
technologies that promote greater human capacities and greater youth and
vitality in themselves, and thus perform direct research on a subject the
individual has ready access to (themselves) and using relatively low-cost
technologies and resources ranging from good diet and exercise to nootropic
nutrients and drugs, sensory deprivation (floatation) tanks, hypnosis and
extreme disciplines such as the martial arts."

Of course this has been going on.  For goodness sakes, please read all the
press on extropy and all the attetion (and fun made of us) for being
healthy, fit, meditating, exerciseing, etc!  Nonetheless, transhumanism has
been based in very, very large part on living a healthy life.  Just because
it is not promoted in certain transhumanist circles does not mean that it is
not a core value of transhumanism.

Now, the rest of what you say seems to be accurate, but what is new about
this?  Isn't this what has been written, spoken, and suggested for quite
some time now?  I'm wondering if it is because of the issues concerning the
proposed technological singularity and uploads that causes you to think that
there are many who just want to be put on a nanoassembler and fly off into
space?

Nlogo1.tif Natasha Vita-More