[ExI] Where’s my body’s Control Panel?

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Thu Apr 9 02:47:27 UTC 2009

On 8 Apr, 2009, at 22:11, Emlyn wrote:

> I just wrote this in my blog, and it struck me that it might play
> well here :-)

You make some really good points in the article. A couple of things to
consider:

1) Some of us don't consider exercise to be flagellation. Its an
enjoyable activity! Well - at least for me, some things are. Lifting
weights I find to be tedious and abhorrent. Things like the rowing
machines and the elliptical machines are like a moving meditation for
me. Kind of like Yoga - Hatha, Bikram, or Ashtanga. But hiking is by
and far my favorite exercise.

2) More interestingly, let's assume that we learn how to install the
functional equivalent of your control panel and that a large fraction
of the population both have access to and choose to install it.
Wouldn't a logical outcome of that be that the world's total caloric
intake would skyrocket as people chose to overclock their metabolisms
to self-enhance? (muscles, brains, looks, whatever would float their
individual boats.) Right now, we produce more food than the world
needs, then waste a good deal of it through systemic inefficiencies,
causing there to be both massive obesity and hunger - often within a
single square mile.  I'd assume that with that "control panel,"  there
would be a lot more hunger and almost no obesity.

And a good number of people consuming vat grown yeast- and algae-
derived proteins and fats. :)

Brent Neal, Ph.D.
http://brentn.freeshell.org
<brentn at freeshell.org>