[ExI] Amazon is Beginning to Delist Some Books

B.K. DeLong bkdelong at pobox.com
Mon Apr 13 19:46:45 UTC 2009

There is FAR more to this. Search "Twitter" (#amazonfail &
#glitchmyass) and Google for "Amazon Fail".

Also see the posts from earlier this AM in:
http://community.livejournal.com/meta_writer

Personally, I believe someone figured out how to exploit the Amazon
API to the point where anything tagged as having GLBT content had
their Sales Ranking removed. If that's the case and others figured it
out just as fast (including before Amazon developers), we could see
this happen to other books as well.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Dan <dan_ust at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is indeed deplorable...
>>
>> Sign of the times?
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 3:29 AM, Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Being a great fan of the First Amendment, I am sorry
>> to see this trend.
>> >
>> > http://therumpus.net/2009/04/amazon-delisting-books/
>
> >From what I've heard, this was a software glitch and the author is overreacting.  Just to test this, I went to the Amazon.com site and typed in "homosexual" and selected Books.  The first return was:
>
> Homosexual Desire (Series Q) -- http://www.amazon.com/Homosexual-Desire-Q-Guy-Hocquenghem/dp/0822313847
>
> This is a classic of gay theory -- not a book on forcing your gay son to pretend he's straight.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

B.K. DeLong (K3GRN)
bkdelong at pobox.com
+1.617.797.8471

http://www.wkdelong.org                    Family.
http://www.ianetsec.com                    Work.
http://bkdelong.livejournal.com             Life.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org