[ExI] Revolutions

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue Apr 14 17:11:28 UTC 2009

Dan wrote:

> Well, some of it might be that the terms are loaded.
 > I participate in a Left-Libertarian group...
 >
> By the way, isn't it more accurate to say the Earth
 > goes around the solar system's barycenter?

Yes, I guess so. One could demur by saying that the
Earth *also* goes around the sun---but then, the
Earth also goes around Mercury and Venus.

We are really interesting in revolutions. The moon
inarguably revolves around the Earth because the
barycenter of the Earth/moon system is *in* the
Earth. Much as I hate to admit it, you may be
irresistibly forcing us to admit that the Earth
*revolves* around the barycentric point between
the Sun and Jupiter, which does lie outside the
Sun.

Lee