[ExI] Limits to the libertarian principle

painlord2k at libero.it painlord2k at libero.it
Fri Apr 17 13:13:18 UTC 2009

Il 15/04/2009 15.52, Dan ha scritto:
> --- On Wed, 4/15/09, Stefano Vaj<stefano.vaj at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 8:29 PM, BillK<pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Do Libertarian principles really allow initiation of
>>> force now, based on a speculation that damage might occur
 >>> many many years in the future? Surely not.

BillK, the problem is not the speculation, because we all speculate
about the future, be it near of far.
The problem is about how much damage we foresee and how probable it is
to happen.
It is about means and wills.

Let say that the martians send a spaceship to a large asteroid and
install an engine there that will move the asteroid en route of
collision with the Earth in 100 years and it is large enough to kill of
the life on Earth. Say we have no means to stop the asteroid to hit the
Earth after they have installed the engine.

Do we have the right to strike at them immediately?
I think so.

>> What about the international scene? Should such principle be
>> extended to all historical facts?

> I believe so, but did you have a particular case in mind where you
> think the principle would not be applicable?  Someone mentioned
> having a draft if the country were invaded -- something libertarians
> should be against...  I mean they should be against any draft (or
> other form of enslavement) as it initiates force.

I would be against the draft, but only because it is initiation of force
against not an invader but a third party not involved.

How to penalize the defectors it another matter.

Mirco