[ExI] sf with pathos

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Apr 19 22:59:38 UTC 2009

At 03:40 PM 4/19/2009 -0700, Spike wrote:

> > POST MORTAL SYNDROME, by me and Barbara Lamar. It was online
> > for a year as a free download...
>
>Please sir, what is the point of giving away your valuable labors?  Is the
>local grocery store offering any free downloads?

No, we were paid by COSMOS, who used the free download serialized
version as an attractant to their website. Other stories (also paid
for, and rather well) are posted there after they appear in the
magazine. (Luckily for USians and UKians, since COSMOS is mostly
available in all its slick paper glory only in Oz). There are also
some stories on the website original to the site. All are compensated.

But why didn't we sell POST MORTAL SYNDROME to a major book publisher
first, and then to Hollywood? Beats the hell outta me. My big-time
agent of the time fell out with me over his disinclination to
represent the book (he didn't think I'd make enough so his cut would
be worth the effort). Some major Aussie publishers (HarperCollins and
Penguin, e.g.) knocked it back, although they'd done some of my
earlier books. Once it went up there were in excess of 100,000 hits,
which isn't terrific on a global scale but it shows a few people
liked it enough to keep reading.

Our commercial mistake (which we understood as we wrote the book, and
did it deliberately, gritting our teeth) was to present a transhuman
technology--viral-vectored genetic enhancement/rejuvenation--as a
feature rather than a horrendous Crichtonesque bug. Insufficiently
Technophobic! People only want to read or see everything smashed and
ruined by science! Waddaya mean, make life better? Sigh.

Damien Broderick