[ExI] Food Production (was Re: Really? and EP)

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Apr 20 14:17:18 UTC 2009

On Behalf Of Lee Corbin

	spike wrote:

			...One of the things I
		hope modern humanity has going in its favor is that we have
options for
		producing food far more efficiently than we do currently.

		What ways?  If we ancticipated widespread food shortages,
what could be
		done?  One of the things I had in mind was using the grain
currently used to

	I believe that you and Keith were talking about highly
	unrealistic scenarios. Have a look at this curve for
	corn production

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/Ext/corn/news/articles.03/CornYldTrend2003.html

	Lee

Cool, thanks Lee, that is a good paper.  I don't have a reference for it,
but a really interesting trend line for crops over that time span is to look
at the amount of water use per kg of food production.  While yield per acre
climbs steadily, water use per kg remains the same.  I am hoping to get rich
off of that some day.  spike