[ExI] META: Modest Proposal

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 17:56:28 UTC 2009

Some debate on and off-list has been in place concerning subjects and
exchanges which are judged sensitive, irritating or simply repetitive
and boring. See under Libertarianism/Capitalism vs the Rest of the
World, identity-personality-continuity-"soul", Islam, atheism,
immigration, US politics, etc.

Now, while I am inclined to follow the thread of a discussion wherever
it may lead like the next guy, I think that much of the related
inconveniences would be drastically reduced, if not avoided
altogether, should we decide to make a conscious effort to stay more
on-topic.

In other terms, I think that exchanges on *any* subject would be more
interesting and "under control" if as a rule they were confined to
what is directly pertinent to transhumanism and extropy, or allows to
draw conclusions which be made expressly relevant by the author to the
topics with which we are concerned here - often an easy enough
exercise.

In fact, there are plenty of other places to discuss the issues above
"in general", amongst like-minded people, and irrespective of their
relevance to the subject of the list.

I do not know what the owners/moderators of the list may think of this...

Stefano Vaj