[ExI] intolerant minds, a different flavor

painlord2k at libero.it painlord2k at libero.it
Mon Apr 27 11:43:35 UTC 2009

Il 27/04/2009 8.03, Lee Corbin ha scritto:

> What I do not understand is why their extreme opposites,
> those who would persecute holocaust deniers, i.e.,
> persecute people for merely SAYING that it never took
> place, go so far as to make it actually illegal just
> to SAY something.

> So some of our German colleagues were visiting us, and
> at lunch I asked, "Can you explain why you favour
> preventing free speech in this case?".

Is it really free speech?

Untruthfully screaming "Fire!" or "Bomb!" in a crowded theatre is not
free speech: it is an unlawful act, not an unlawful speech.
It is an act of "causing alarm".
People alarmed will not think and debate and consider the message, they
will react to the message without thinking or narrowing their critical
sense.
The same could be said about someone that tell you that "Mr.X want kill
you and is out with a gun" when in reality he know it is false; then you
react against Mr.X and kill him.

In the case of holocaust deniers, they are negating a fact, not stating
an opinion. It is like negating that a man was killed when there are
witnesses, the corpse, the killer confession and many records of what
happened. It is like telling lies in a trial. And becoming accomplices
of the killer. In the case of Holocaust deniers not to the actual
killers, but to their agenda.

It is, for sure, a blurred line and very troublesome.

I don't think the Holocaust is something unusual in the long history of
humanity. Muslims did it often, Europeans did it sometimes as others did
it. What is different is the application of industrial technology to the
extermination of a people. But marching people until they die (like
Turks did) or sending them in Gulags (as did and do the communists)
accomplish the same results. I would say that forced sterilizing them
like the Swedes did until a few decades ago to individuals considered
unfit is not very different.

> Can anyone suggest an hypothesis that will explain
> what is going on in otherwise sensible and tolerant
> minds?

Mirco